Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Forewarned is forearmed. Sometimes.

Sometimes, Dear Reader, things turn out in an entirely unexpected way - and that's a good thing.

Case in point, a little while ago I received a Protection Order to be served on an individual in regards to a domestic violence matter where a number of threats had been made. 

So, looking at the file, I have to admit I really wasn't liking what I saw.

History of violence?

Check. Obviously.

Alcohol and drug dependency?

Check.

Prior threats to kill?

Check.

Gang member? Known criminal associates? Extensive history of offending?

Check. Check. Check.

As far as the client was concerned, it was just another document service job - really no different than say serving a Statutory Demand on a company. Yeah, right!

Which kind of meant that the budget didn't really cover for bringing along a second person as backup. And that really should have been the first approach. However, instead, I opted for the somewhat riskier approach of doing it by myself with a little personal protection.

This was a calculated 2-prong risk. Firstly, in this part of the world there is no such thing as a 'defensive weapon' and laws pertaining to self-defence generally preclude tooling yourself up just in case things turn out badly. So the very act of pre-emptively carrying something for self-defence can get me in a world of trouble.

Secondly, there are the risks associated with the use of any weapon, no matter how 'non-lethal' (aka less-than-lethal) they might be. It doesn't take much for things to go horribly, horribly, wrong and then having to face the consequences thereof.

However, all things considered, I had to face an extremely violent individual, in his den, by myself. Without knowing exactly what kind of situation I was walking into. So with that in mind, I figured I would take the risk of carrying my 26" extendable ASP-clone baton. However, I would wear it under my jacket so it could not be seen. Which is exactly what I did.

And how did it go, you ask?

Guy was as meek as a lamb, accepted the documents without so much as a peep, even thanked me afterwards.

I felt a bit silly as I walked back to my vehicle but I guess it is a case of better to have carried it and not needed it rather than the opposite.
    

2 comments:

  1. Don't get taken in by the 'meek as a lamb' thing, he is still all those things outlined in the affidavit and I'm thinking he would have sized you up and thought better to not fuck with you. Given that it is a protection order, likely that it is male assaults female. Yeah, they save that crap for those who can't defend themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I quite agree. Fact is that I attended the address just after he would have finished work and he didn't appear to have had a chance to hit the booze too hard. And, luckily, there was no-one else at the address. While I've found dealing with gang members on a one-to-one basis can get positive outcomes, when they have associates around they tend to puff up and act the big guy.

      And I have to admit my exact thought when leaving the property was "I guess he only hits women".

      Delete