Sunday, July 12, 2015

Jazz, Adventure, Cats, Coppers, Dead People...

Enter jazzman-turned-PI, Rock Banyon, played by Michael Kenneth Williams (otherwise known as Omar Little in one of the best television series ever) in a comedic mini-series The Spoils Before Dying.

Hardboiled plus.


I've only caught the first couple of episodes and, clearly, this pokes fun at the entire genre yet it still manages to tell a gritty story. Move over True Detective, there's a new brooding and troubled anti-hero in town, spouting darkly introspective insights into the human condition. In voiceover, even!

While it might not be everyone's cup of tea, I liked what I've seen so far.

2 comments:

  1. The court scene with Omar was good. Will have to check this show out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem with Williams is, no matter what show he'll ever be in, he'll always be Omar Little to me (and doubtless to every other fan of The Wire),

      Delete