Monday, October 04, 2010

Happy to be wrong!

Over the last few weeks I'd been wondering whether I had become, like many of my clients, a victim...

Yes, it pains me to admit it but this Clever Investigator made an online purchase of a reasonably expensive electronic item (all the better to fight crime and not a toy etc etc) and then grew increasingly worried when said item failed to arrive and the emails from the seller just stopped.

Happily, the purchase was finally delivered personally by the seller after much chasing and many emails and phone calls. I am relieved.

And vindicated.

Luckily for Mr Spear (not his real name) as I'd been compiling a bit of a dossier on him pending future action should the item not materialise.

Things certainly weren't looking too good there for a while, I'll have to admit his excuses started to wear a bit thin towards the end and I didn't even believe he was telling me the truth when he said he was coming over to deliver it last Friday.

The dangers of being a cynic.

By this stage I'd been waiting for 3 weeks for something I should have had a few days after purchase, so you'll forgive my moment of weakness.

By Friday I'd already found out the seller's name, address, name of girlfriend, current mobile and phone numbers, name and address of mother, names and contact details of suppliers, names of previous associates (who I'd already interviewed in person), and also several other clients who had also been waiting for their purchases.

And I also had instructed an agent in the same town as Mr Spear to make a personal visit to his place of business and several other addresses associated with him.

Turns out this step wasn't needed as Mr Spears fronted up to my office, goods in hand, at the appointed time. Apart from being three weeks overdue, that is.

And now my loyal and steadfast 'friends' can stop giving me shit about "clever investigator being caught in online scam" - you know who you are.

1 comment:

  1. Nope, no idea to whom you refer.

    So, the digit-a-day method worked its charm again? Nice.

    ReplyDelete