Friday, September 24, 2010

Doomed from the start, I tell you. Doomed!

There's been not much of note to report on as of late, Dear Reader, just have been working on closing some minor files that I've had for a while. Nothing remotely exciting or interesting - at least at this stage although one case has some potential for a later blog posting.

However, I have embarked on a bit of an experiment, of sorts: I have decided to start writing. Not a blog, like this, no - a novel. Actually, it's not really a new thought - I've been contemplating it for years but finally I've decided to go ahead and actually do something about it.

Starting things isn't really my problem, as anyone who knows me would happily tell you, finishing is. However, and with no regard to the Great Thesis Fiasco of 2001-2003, I have already begun.

Perhaps surprisingly, it isn't a 'detective novel'. Or maybe it is, although not in any traditional sense. And it certainly won't be in a lurid hardboiled style... that's for sure.

Beyond that, I don't want to give too much away at this stage, in case it all goes horribly wrong.

And as that Assyrian clay tablet, dated around 2800BC, stated:
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
 It really must be the end of the world.
 

6 comments:

  1. Yay! About time you put pen to paper and started on a novel. Good job! Been telling you for sometime you should do this.

    Look forward to reading the drafts :)

    Are you sure you aren't trying to be a Richard Castle or similar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I was thinking more along the lines of William Gibson - although his last novel, Zero History, sucked immensely.

    We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, I've started another blog (invite only) that will have excerpts for your perusal and comment.

    There will be no particular order to the posts - certainly they do not start at the beginning. They are not chapters. Parts of chapters, possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been struggling with the novel writing concept for a few years now - lots of starts, but then I get lost in the intermediate stages - I'm missing how to develop the plot, even though I know the endgame I want to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also entered my first short story competition this year, and plan to enter a few more as time goes by.

    Don't think I was successful with my entry, but it taught me a lot about pacing and development within a word limit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gwynn, check your gmail account as I sent out an invite to you a couple of weeks ago...

    ReplyDelete