Monday, October 18, 2010

All the better to fight crime: must-have gadgetry

Now anyone who knows me will tell you that I like to spend money on non-essential items. They will insist upon referring to these items as toys when the correct nomenclature is tools.

This alone demonstrates their shallow depth of understanding my trade.

Anyway, recently I have discovered this product. A smartpen that electronically stores not only everything written but also records what was said at that time (and links the written text with the recorded voice). It also has a range of other features but those the the main ones.

There are a range of notebooks available including the ever-necessary reporter-style that any half decent PI carries at all times.

And you can also print out your own dot paper if necessary.

I'm thinking this may very well be the way of the future, particularly when taking statements as it captures both the written and verbal, not to mentions links them together for easy review later.

The only downside is the price. While only US$129.00 in America, the same product sells for the equivalent of US$231.00 here. Not a bad markup, I guess, but it does make the expense a bit more difficult to justify.

Well, who really needs justifications, right? I mean, I can always find some bill not to bother paying this month.

So, have any of my trusty readers have any experience with this product and either good or bad things to say about it? I would be interested in hearing your stories.

4 comments:

  1. I see another retailer is advertising the 4GB model for slightly more, but closer to the US price.

    Pity they are not selling the notebooks which is, in my opinion, a bit short-sighted of them. The pen's not of much use without one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can print out the paper yourself if you have a colour printer, it used IR dots on the paper to work out where it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, although I'd prefer the reporter-style notebooks but with the loose sheets I can create witness statement forms or surveillance logs etc.

    The first retailer sells the full range of notebooks, so that shouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been Fate at work.

    I went for a wander and happened to be in a store that happened to just have received a shipment.

    I couldn't help myself and am now the proud owner of a Livescribe Echo 4GB.

    I'll put it to the test and post a review in a week or so.

    ReplyDelete