Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Serious as...?

This, Dear Reader, is an example of how my inherent cynical nature and scepticism can sometimes count against me.

Even I, on occasion, can be wrong.

Today was one of those days.

I was with my colleague Pedro. We were at the local police station with a Fraud Squad detective in regards to a case we had tendered for prosecution on behalf of our client. We'd received word that our client was on the way, which we were thankful for because we didn't really know if he would actually show up.

Our client had previously been vacillating between his desire to have his former de facto partner prosecuted (then hung, drawn and quartered) for her theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars from his business on the one hand, and wanting to ingratiate himself with her so she'd return to him on the other. Today, we were really there just to hold has hand through the process but we received a call from his daughter-in-law stating that he was complaining of chest pains and they were taking him to the doctor's.

Riiiiiight, I thought. How bloody typical, fake a heart-attack because he didn't want to front up to the police.

Except we then got word that he'd been taken to the hospital by ambulance from the doctor's. Seems like he had the attack over the weekend and was only now showing the signs of it.

Alright, so I may have misread this situation, I can see that. Doesn't make me a bad person...

And then I was wrong AGAIN regarding whether a junkie, whom I had spoken to the previous week, would actually be home at the appointed time to provide a statement.

She was!

She even admitted liability and even completed a payment arrangement to the insurer.

Who was expecting that? Not I, that's for sure.

I guess I should be less distrustful in future but I think this is just one of those days where the improbable actually happens and normal programming will resume tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment