Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A joke's a joke...

But, seriously, why does it have to happen to me?

I receive a call this morning from a woman who wanted to make an appointment for next week to speak with a Private Investigator.

"Righto", I said. Would she like me to meet her at her place or somewhere else that is convenient?

"No", she replied. She wanted to meet at my offices.

Luckily, I have a new office (of sorts), so I gave her the address and then it all went horribly wrong...

"Is it on the bus-route?", she asked.

Maybe she has a reasonably good excuse for taking the bus. Her chauffeur takes Tuesday's off, or she's going incognito to throw off Nazi spies...

No?

No. Chances are it's because he's not allowed to drive and that public transport is the last refuge of the clinically mad. And poor.

Hoping, against the odds, that perhaps there might still be a valid case here, I tentatively asked her what she would like to discuss next week...?

Velma (not her real name) believes that photographs taken of her some 30 years ago have been used without her permission in recent magazine and television adverts for a variety of products. Velma would like to pursue the possibility of recouping monies as she'd never received a cent for her role.

Why magazines or TV adverts would use photographs from 30 years ago to promote a product in 2011 is a bit beyond me, but Velma strongly believes that unauthorised pictures of her have been unfairly used without recompense. Does she have any proof, ie originals or specific adverts that have used her image?

No. She had a poster but threw it away.

Riiiight.

So it's going to be like that, is it?

1 comment:

  1. Velma called me back today.

    Now she wants me to meet her at a cafe near her place, completely out of the way for me.

    You just know this is going to end badly.

    ReplyDelete