Friday, February 19, 2010

Things I love... Part 1: Notebooks

Yes, it's true, I have a thing for stationery and, specifically, notebooks. When I say 'thing' I don't mean I like the way the paper feels as I rub the pages over my naked body. No, I mean I just like writing and probably like most of my kind, I'm particularly enamoured of the Moleskine range. Probably because I'm a twat.

The reporter-style ruled notebook is a personal favourite as it can easily slip into a pocket yet has 192 pages - plenty for notes and observations - and this is what I use for my day-to-day work. My current one is a bit battered and held together with cloth tape and I can't wait to finish with it so I can start on a new one.

Sad, isn't it?


The other that doesn't quite get as much use is the extra-large ruled notebook which is reserved for surveillance logs only. While I keep an audio log as well, for a later transcript, I also keep a written one where I might make additional notes such as quickly jotting down registration plates for later checking etc.

Now, if I have one complaint (and I do) it is that the pages could be slightly thicker to accommodate the pretentious and wanky investigators amongst us who like to write with a fountain pen. The ink tends to bleed a bit and that can be somewhat annoying, especially to the OCD types.

Actually, I also have another complaint - or perhaps more of a suggestion - in that I would also like to see the pages numbered. If the contents of a notebook are ever required for evidential purposes, it would quickly show that pages of evidence haven't mysteriously disappeared.

On the other hand, maybe that's the last thing I need...

If anyone out there has any personal favourite notebook brands, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment