Thursday, February 11, 2010

A lawyer complains about the cost - True Story!

Talk about ironic but I still can't get over this little gem.

I get a call from a lawyer I regularly work for. They have a Court Injunction that has to be served on a Company's registered office that very day, no later than 1pm, in order to stop the transfer of several hundred thousand dollars that should be going to their client. Can I help?

No problem, I say. Sure, I actually have a bunch of things to do that day - including dropping off someone at the Airport around 1pm - but I can make it a priority.

Now, for the uninitiated, it is a routine practice for URGENT (ie same day) document service work to be billed at a higher rate than normal. Usually a 50% surcharge is added. Not only that, but also if a document is picked up as well, rather than being mailed or dropped off, another charge applies. Common practices in this industry.

So I rush in after completing the job I am on out of town, pick up the Injunction from their offices, do a couple of other things, pick up my friends and on the way to the Airport serve the document on the Company well within the timeframe.

When I get back to the office I issue an invoice and add the 50% surcharge for the urgent delivery and email it with the report. I didn't charge for the pickup.

A little while later I receive an email from my lawyer friend. The firm's Partner that he works under was not pleased with my invoice and made a comment that I was "charging myself out of business".

Now, for the sake of clarity, I would like to point out that the invoice issued was for the princely sum of $101.25 rather than the standard $67.50, and involved me specifically coming into their office to pick up the documents, placing it ahead of all other work and effecting service within 2 hours. Not to mention subsequently swearing an Affidavit of Service.

And here was a Senior Partner, who probably bills his time out at least at $400.00 per hour, saying in all seriousness that *I* was charging *myself* out of business.

And the most perplexing thing is that the cost of document service isn't generally paid for by the firm but passed on to the Client anyway.

Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment